Home Boston Family Law and Divorce Modification Order

Boston Modification Order Attorney

Do You Need to Change a Boston Family Court Order?

In Massachusetts, divorce decrees are determined by the family court system and cannot be changed without an official modification by the court. But life is everchanging and as such, Bostonians often need to modify child support, a child custody agreement, or another court order.

At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we have handled modifications to family law agreements for nearly two decades. We have the experience you want and need when making alterations that can have a huge impact on your life. Call (617) 870-0907 today to schedule a free initial consultation at our Boston office.

Reasons to Request a Modification

There are a few reasons why a parent can seek modification of a child support order or a child custody agreement – mostly having to do with life changes. An experienced Boston family law attorney can help you prepare the paperwork to modify your order if you:

  • Get a substantial raise or promotion
  • Take a new job
  • Retire
  • Get remarried

Other situations with a negative impact appear suddenly and can be overwhelming, but they are also grounds for a modification, such as:

  • Loss of employment
  • Serious injury causing loss of income temporarily or permanently
  • A decrease in hours or income

For example, a decrease in the noncustodial parent's income would be a reason for him or her to request child support payments be lowered. A decrease in the custodial parent's income could warrant an increase in child support from the noncustodial parent.

A modification could also be requested if there is a significant increase in the cost of childcare or other expenses, like school tuition or extracurricular activities the child is involved in. Along these lines, there could also be a request for modification if the cost of the child’s health insurance changes dramatically.

A new job, which requires a parent to relocate, is also grounds for a modification. This could alter visitation or result in the child moving to another state, if the custodial parent is the one with the new job offer.

Planning for Life Changes? Call Us

All of these changes can warrant a petition to the MA Probate and Family Court for a modification. The outcome of a request for modification is never certain, and it is always best to consult a lawyer for guidance when pursuing these actions. DiBella Law Offices, P.C., has been working with Boston parents for nearly two decades. We always offer a free consultation, so call (617) 870-0907 anytime. We will help you understand your rights as a parent, and guide you through any process that can assist you in better providing for your child.