Home Family Law Post-Divorce Modification

Methuen Post-Divorce Modification Attorneys

Trust Our Family Lawyers in Methuen, MA

Sometimes after a divorce, one or both spouses’ situations have changed or they simply need clarification about particular child custody or support requirements. At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we have extensive experience in handling cases where the initial terms of the divorce need to be modified.

Our Methuen family law attorneys know the complexities of this area of law, from when someone is eligible to modify an existing agreement to the consequences of failing to meet child support requirements.

An Experienced Lawyer Is Essential to Protecting Your Rights

There are legitimate reasons for needing to modify a child support or custody agreement. If the parent paying support loses his or her job, or faces a decrease in wages, there will be less money available to pay in support. Alternatively, a parent who takes a higher paying job or receives a substantial raise might be able to pay more in child support.

Recent changes in Massachusetts alimony law likely affect many separated couples with child support agreements. When the parent receiving support payments has cohabitated with a new partner for three consecutive months, they are considered to be economically interdependent. The parent paying child support can now seek modification of a support agreement under these circumstances.

Any change in a custody or support agreement must be approved by a court to take effect. Therefore, while divorced or separated parents are encouraged to work out settlements whenever possible, it is still important to consult an experienced Methuen family law attorney and get your new agreement approved by a judge. This ensures that your rights and best interests are protected should your ex-spouse or partner repudiate the terms of a new agreement.

Understand Your Rights & Obligations

If a parent paying child support cannot continue to make all or any of the required payments, he or she should seek a court-approved modification as soon as possible. When parents simply stop paying support, the parent entitled to receive payments have legal options.

At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we help our clients throughout the state bring contempt proceedings in court to force parents to make payments. A parent found in contempt of a support agreement is subject to jail time and fines. These are not easy choices for our clients to make, but we make sure that their children’s interests are protected.

If you need help with a modification in Boston or elsewhere in the state, call (978) 327-5140 to schedule a free initial consultation.

Additional Information