Haverhill Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrians have the right of way in most instances and walking is a great way to patronize local businesses in Haverhill, visit your neighbors, or take your kids to the park. It’s a healthy activity that will improve your overall well-being.
Nothing should prevent you from getting outside and enjoying the day, but drivers don’t always look out for pedestrians like they should. And when a car or a big rig truck hits a pedestrian, the victim is likely to suffer serious injuries.
If you or a loved one was harmed by a careless driver in Haverhill, our team at DiBella Law Offices, P.C. can help you get your life back on track. Call (978) 327-5140 to schedule your FREE consultation today.
Haverhill is a beautiful city about 37 miles from Boston and walking is a popular way of getting around town. The roads are busy with young students, residents and people commuting to and from work, so pedestrians need to be careful. Unfortunately, not all drivers are paying attention and watching for people crossing the street.
In a recent year, three pedestrians died as a result of vehicle accidents in Haverhill. Pedestrian accidents can happen even if you are being careful and obeying the law. In one case, a man was struck and killed as he crossed Main Street using the crosswalk at White’s corner. The driver, who fled the scene, was only travelling 16 mph when he struck the victim.
The biggest causes of pedestrian accidents are driver carelessness and inattention. Haverhill pedestrians must be on the lookout for unsafe drivers at all times. Intersections are one of the most dangerous places for pedestrians, so it’s always wise to be extra cautious and look both ways before entering a crosswalk.
Some frequent causes of pedestrian accidents suffered by victims we see in our office include:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield
- Driving under the influence
- Ignoring stop signs
- Poorly marked crosswalks
- Inclement weather
Pedestrian accidents often result in catastrophic injuries that may require extensive medical treatment. And some injuries such as paralysis require a lifetime of personal care.
Insurance companies are often reluctant to offer you a claim that covers the true cost of your injuries. They may even pressure you into accepting a lowball offer that doesn’t come close to what you really need.
At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we know how to negotiate with stingy insurance companies. And we are always ready to take your case to trial if the other side isn’t willing to make a serious offer.
You attorney will investigate the accident to find out who was responsible for your injuries. Then they will figure out how much your injuries are going to cost over the course of a lifetime. Using this information, your attorney will present a claim to the negligent driver’s insurance company.
Your Haverhill injury lawyer will use the following types of information to conduct their investigation:
- Police reports
- Witness testimony
- Accident photos
- Surveillance camera videos
- Accident scene simulations
- Expert medical testimony
Haverhill pedestrians are extremely vulnerable to accidents caused negligent drivers. Common injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries. A blow to the spine can cause paralysis, which is the permanent loss of feeling and control over bodily functions. People who suffer from paralysis require medical care and personal assistance for the rest of their lives.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Sudden trauma may cause bleeding and damage to brain tissue. Symptoms of TBI include loss of consciousness, headaches, nausea, convulsions, memory problems, depression, anxiety, reduced intellectual abilities, mood changes, and difficulty sleeping.
- Whiplash occurs when the neck and head are suddenly forced backward and the forward. It can result in severe injury and even death. Symptoms of whiplash including neck pain, reduced range of motion, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, blurred vision, memory problems, depression, irritability, and trouble concentrating.
- Road rash occurs when an accident victim is dragged along the asphalt or concrete. In acute cases, the damage penetrates all the way down to the person’s organs. Symptoms include pain, swelling, foul smell, pus or fluid draining from the wound, and chills, aches, and fever when the infection is severe.
- Internal bleeding, also known as hemorrhaging, can be easy to overlook. But it can be life-threatening if you don’t receive treatment. Symptoms include dizziness. headaches, fatigue, muscle pain, low blood pressure, numbness, blurred vison, blood in urine, bruising, and chest pain.
- Internal organ damage occurs when physical trauma causes the structure or function or organs to be impaired. Symptoms include abdominal pain, tenderness in the injured area, blood in urine, and cold, sweaty skin.
- Wrongful death
DiBella Law Offices, P.C. is a nationally recognized law firm. Christopher DiBella has been recognized as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in America by the American Academy of Attorneys.
We don’t think you should have to pay your own medical costs if your injuries were caused by a careless driver. If you have been injured in a Haverhill pedestrian accident, call (978) 327-5140 to learn more today.