Head, Back, & Soft Tissue Injuries After a Burlington Car Accident
Have you suffered a head, neck, or back injury as the result of an accident in Burlington caused by negligent behavior? Whiplash doesn’t always show up right away after an accident, which is why it’s so important to speak to a doctor – and a Burlington car accident lawyer – right away.
What Is Whiplash?
When most people think of whiplash, they think of the actors they see on television; usually playing a character trying to deceive the courts with a fake injury. The truth is, however, that whiplash is a real injury, and it can be quite serious and cause the victim a great deal of pain and suffering. Whiplash injuries can also take a long time to heal.
Whiplash is neck injury incurred after the head has been thrown very quickly back-and-forth, which has the potential for damage to the neck, spine, and head. This is most commonly seen in car accidents when one vehicle has hit another from behind, causing the force of the vehicle to whip the victim’s head back and forth violently.
However, while the injury always occurs right away, it can take weeks or months for symptoms to start appearing. In fact, many car accident victims throughout the United States have settled their insurance claims, only to find out later that they were more injured than they originally thought.
Burlington Whiplash Lawyer Near Me 855-DiBella
Request Your Free Police Report
DiBella Law Offices, P.C., is glad to assist you with getting your crash report at no cost. Visit our police report request page and fill out our form. We will take care of the rest.
We've offered crucial support and guidance to individuals who have suffered injuries, ensuring their financial and emotional well-being.
What Are Some Common Whiplash Injuries?
Whiplash injuries happen to the most sensitive areas of the body – the neck, spine, and head.
- Neck injuries. In most whiplash cases, the tissues of the neck will be affected, including the muscles, ligaments, and nerves. Facet joint pain, or a pain right at the back of the neck, is one of the most common complaints after a whiplash injury. Headaches are commonly a symptom of neck injuries.
- Spine injuries. While the most severe spinal injuries such as paralysis aren’t common after whiplash, the spine can become injured. The most common spinal injury associated with whiplash is when the discs and vertebrae become torn or herniated. Again, spinal injuries can often first show up as a headache.
- Nerve injury. There is a bundle of fibrous nerves called the annulus at the bottom of the neck and when a person experiences a whiplash injury, those nerves can tear.
- TMJ injury. This injury affects the temporomandibular joint within the jaw and can first present itself as clicking or popping in the jaw. If left untreated, it can lead to much larger issues, such as issues with eating.
- Soft tissue injury. Soft tissue refers to anything that is not bone such as muscles, ligaments, tendons, and nerves. Soft tissue injury is the most common experienced after whiplash and it often involves treatment such as massage therapy, electro-stimulation, and trigger point therapy.
When to Talk to a Burlington Whiplash Attorney
Those who have experienced whiplash need to seek medical treatment right away, even if they feel they haven’t been injured. This is important so the instance or any possible injuries can be documented at the time. Then it’s important to speak to an attorney.
An experienced Burlington attorney knows what to look for in whiplash cases, and knows how deceptive these injuries can be. Most importantly, an attorney will be able to deal with the insurance companies. Massachusetts is a no-fault state, meaning victims will need to settle with their own insurance company and not that of the at-fault party.
However, insurance companies will always try to settle for as little as possible, and this is especially true in whiplash cases when the full degree of the injury is not known for some time. An attorney knows to not settle right away and that it’s worthwhile to fight for full compensation. If you’ve suffered from whiplash, please contact DiBella Law Offices, P.C., today at (781) 262-3338 to set up a free consultation at our Burlington office.