Methuen Intersection Accident Lawyer
Injured in a Methuen Intersection?
Intersections are where most accidents take place. When you have different avenues of traffic coming together, it is important for drivers to follow all traffic signals and right-of-way rules. If a driver ignores them or acts in a negligent manner in or around an intersection, disaster can and will strike.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Methuen intersection crash due to the negligence of another driver, you have the legal right to seek compensation. Call DiBella Law Offices, P.C., at (978) 327-5140 to speak to a top Methuen personal injury lawyer.
Request Your Free Police Report
DiBella Law Offices, P.C., is glad to assist you with getting your crash report at no cost. Visit our police report request page and fill out our form. We will take care of the rest.
Why Do Intersection Accidents Happen?
Though Massachusetts state law provides clear guidelines on who has the right-of-way for street crossings and intersections, they are still the most complicated and crowded areas to navigate and drive through in a safe manner. Research conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has found that 39% of all vehicle collisions take place in intersections.
Common ways a negligent driver can cause an accident at an intersection include:
- Distracted driving: One of the leading causes of accidents across the board is distracted driving. If a driver is focused on something besides the road in front of him, then his chances of striking another vehicle increase greatly. Phone use, GPS use, radio adjustment, and passenger distractions cause avoidable traffic collisions every day, especially in crowded cities like Boston.
- Traffic violations: A great many intersection accidents occur when drivers violate traffic laws put in place to keep everyone safe on the road. If a driver is speeding, making an illegal turn, or does not obey traffic signals at an intersection, he or she can easily cause an accident.
- Turns without a clear view: Some intersections do not provide drivers with a clear view of oncoming traffic when they are attempting to make a turn. If a driver is in a hurry and does not take enough time to adequately determine if he is free to turn safely, he can collide with oncoming vehicles.
- Poor observation: Drivers who misjudge the speed of an oncoming vehicle, or do not pay enough attention to the traffic around them, are a large factor in causing intersection accidents.
Regardless of the dangers of intersections, there is no excuse for driving negligently and causing serious injuries to innocent victims.
What Are Some Types of Intersection Accidents?
Intersection accidents can occur in several different ways, including:
- Rear-end collisions: If a driver is tailgating and doesn’t stop at a red light or stop sign when the driver in front of him does, a rear-end collision can take place.
- Side-impact crashes/T-bones: These typically occur when one driver runs a red light or stop sign and T-bones a vehicle traveling at a perpendicular angle through the intersection.
- Head-on collisions: Accidents of this nature can occur when a driver turns in front of oncoming traffic with not enough time to pass safely.
- Sideswipes: Sideswipes occur when drivers fail to look out for other cars, motorcyclists, and bicyclists before making a turn or changing lanes at an intersection.
- Multi-car pileups: These collisions occur when multiple vehicles crash into each other, or an initial accident causes a chain reaction of other collisions.
Establishing Fault for Intersection Collisions
In many Burlington intersection collisions, the issue of fault can be difficult to determine. Often, two parties in a collision will give conflicting details about the incident. This is a common occurrence, even if the other side’s fault seems obvious. Massachusetts is first a “no fault” state, which means you must seek compensation for your losses from your own insurance carrier. However, if your medical bills exceed $2,000, you may file a claim against the other driver. Massachusetts uses a comparative fault system when determining liability for car wrecks. That means whoever is determined to be more at fault will have to pay the victim.
Determining liability can be the most complex part of an intersection crash. You need an experienced Burlington car accident lawyer to investigate and prove the fault of the other party to ensure that you get justice, and the responsible party is held to task.
Get a Burlington Intersection Accident Attorney in Your Corner
The attorneys at DiBella Law Offices, P.C., understand how difficult it can be to move on after being struck at an intersection. We have represented accident victims across the state since 2007 and have a track record of getting our clients the compensation they deserve. With our legal team in your corner, you can be confident in your ability to pursue fair compensation for your family. Contact us at (781) 262-3338 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation, and see how our top-notch legal team can help.