Chelsea Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Skilled Representation for Injured Motorcyclists in Chelsea
Chelsea is located directly across the Mystic River from Boston. The average commute time is 33 minutes, with only 2% of the population working from home. Chelsea is home to one of the most dangerous intersections in Massachusetts at Revere Beach Parkway and Washington Avenue.
Although riding a motorcycle is a great way to get around in Chelsea and the greater Boston area, it is not without risk. Motorcyclists lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle and are vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash. If you have been hurt in a motorcycle crash that was someone else’s fault, speak with an experienced Chelsea motorcycle accident attorney about a claim for compensation.
How Do Motorcycle Accidents Occur in Chelsea?
Motorcycles make up only 3% of all registered vehicles, but they account for 14% of all traffic fatalities, according to the National Safety Council (NSC). In 2020, 51.73% of fatal motorcycle accidents were two-vehicle crashes, and 7.24% involved three or more vehicles. Many motorcycle accidents are caused by the negligence of other drivers. Common causes include:
- Distracted driving
- Impaired driving
- Cutting motorcycles off at intersections
- Unsafe lane changes
What Types of Injuries Do Motorcyclists Suffer in a Crash?
Motorcycles are smaller, less visible, lighter, and less stable than four-wheeled cars or trucks. Riders are unprotected and vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash. Common injuries in motorcycle accidents include:
- Bone fractures: Motorcycles are two-wheeled vehicles that often fall over in a crash. The weight of the bike falling on a rider can cause broken bones.
- Traumatic brain injury: When a 4,000 pound passenger vehicle hits a motorcycle, the rider can be ejected from the bike. Even riders who are wearing helmets can sustain head trauma and brain injuries.
- Internal injuries: Trauma to the abdominal area in a collision can cause organ damage and internal bleeding. This can occur when a vehicle hits a rider or from the force of impact when a rider is ejected from the bike and lands on the ground or hits an object.
- Spinal cord injury: The impact of collision can fracture vertebrae and otherwise damage the spinal cord, leading to paralysis and permanent disability.
- Road rash: When a rider is thrown from the bike and slides across the road or ground, it can cause severe skin abrasions. Severe road rash can lead to infections and cause permanent scarring.
What Compensation is Available to Injured Motorcyclists?
Motorcycle riders have a right to share the road, the same as other motorists. Motor vehicle drivers must allow motorcycles the full width of traffic lanes and yield the right of way when required. Motorcyclists who are injured through the negligence of others are entitled to seek compensation for their injuries. Two types of compensatory damages are available in motorcycle accident claims:
- Economic damages: These are objectively verifiable monetary losses, such as past and future medical expenses, lost income, loss of future earning potential, and property damage.
- Non-economic damages: This term refers to non-monetary, subjective losses, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life.
How Can a Chelsea Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help?
Your best chance of recovering the maximum compensation available for a serious motorcycle accident is to have an experienced Chelsea vehicle accident attorney handling your claim. At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we can investigate your accident to determine fault and liability, secure evidence to support your claim, assess the full extent of your losses, negotiate skillfully with insurance companies on your behalf, and fight for the compensation you deserve in court if necessary. Contact us at (978) 327-5140 to find out how we can help you.