Boston Garbage Truck Accident Attorney
Have You Been Injured in a Collision With a Garbage Truck?
Garbage truck drivers and refuse workers provide a vital service to the community. Nevertheless, the trucks used to collect and remove refuse from our cities present a risk for other motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians on the road. Due to the sheer size and weight of these vehicles, garbage truck accidents can cause serious injuries when they occur.
What Are the Dangers of Garbage Truck Accidents in Boston?
In Boston and other cities, garbage trucks can create a hazard on the roadways. Refuse vehicles can present dangers in several different ways:
- Garbage trucks make frequent stops and turns in the process of picking up refuse.
- These large, bulky vehicles have significant blind spots, which can contribute to serious accidents when drivers are backing up or changing lanes.
- Refuse truck drivers are multitasking to pick up garbage and may be distracted from driving the truck.
- Garbage collection routes are often scheduled early in the morning, increasing the likelihood of drowsy driving.
- Drivers rushing from place to place to service their collection routes may ignore speed limits, fail to yield the right-of-way, or violate other traffic rules.
- These large vehicles enter narrow, residential streets, where it may be difficult to maneuver.
- Garbage trucks often park in travel lanes, blocking the flow of traffic.
- The sheer size and weight of garbage trucks can cause serious injuries to motorists, cyclists, or pedestrians in a collision.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Garbage Truck Crash?
Liability for a garbage truck accident will depend on what caused the accident and who owns and operates the garbage truck. Garbage collection may be contracted out to private companies that employ their own drivers and own their trucks. In this case, private companies may be held liable for accidents and injuries their drivers and workers cause in the course of their employment. If the City of Boston owns the garbage truck and employs the driver who caused the crash, then a claim for damages may be filed against the city.
How Can You Recover Compensation for a Garbage Truck Accident?
To recover damages for a garbage truck collision, you must show that your accident and injuries were caused by negligence on the part of the garbage truck driver or his or her employer. The elements that need to be established in a garbage truck accident claim based on negligence are:
- The driver had a duty of care to operate the garbage truck and equipment in a safe and reasonable manner that would not cause harm to others.
- The garbage truck driver breached the duty of care.
- The driver’s breach of duty was the cause of your accident and injuries.
- You suffered damages because of the accident.
Do You Need a Boston Garbage Truck Collision Lawyer?
Your best chance of recovering full compensation for a serious garbage truck collision is to have an experienced Boston personal injury attorney by your side. We have the knowledge, skills, and resources to:
- Thoroughly investigate your accident to determine fault and liability
- Obtain and preserve evidence to support your claim
- Assess the full extent of your damages, past, present, and future
- Negotiate skillfully with insurance companies on your behalf
- Fight for the compensation you deserve in court, if necessary
Why Choose Us?
DiBella Law Offices, P.C. was founded in 2007. Founding attorney Christopher DiBella has been practicing since 2004. Our legal team is well-versed in the laws pertaining to personal injury in Massachusetts. We bring an in-depth understanding to every case we handle, looking at it from all angles and exploring every option. If you have been injured in a garbage truck accident in Boston, call us at (617) 870-0907 to schedule a free consultation.