Home Boston Auto Accidents Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accident

Boston Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accident Attorneys

Getting Full Compensation After a Collision

Unexpected medical emergencies are the top cause of bankruptcy in the United States. That means a single car accident can put a family at risk of losing everything. Whether you file a claim with your own insurance company or against the driver who injured you, you should ask for full compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

Unfortunately, if you are injured by an uninsured driver, or their policy doesn’t fully cover your injuries, then you may need to rely on an uninsured or underinsured motorist policy to get your bills paid.

If you were injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver, reach out to the legal team at DiBella Law Offices, P.C. Our lead attorney Christopher DiBella has nearly two decades of experience under his belt and has fought to get numerous clients throughout Boston full compensation for their trauma. We can sit down with you in a free consultation, review all available insurance policies, and advocate for your best interests in a settlement negotiation or jury trial. Call our office today at (617) 870-0907 to get started on your case.

Auto Insurance in Massachusetts

Auto insurance is mandatory in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, with every driver being required to have at minimum:

  • Liability Insurance for Bodily Injuries to Others: $20,000 for one person / $40,000 per accident
  • Liability Insurance for Property Damage: $5,000 for property damage to another person’s vehicle
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP): $8,000 in medical coverage for policyholders and their households
  • Uninsured Coverage: $20,000 for one person / $40,000 per accident

In addition, Massachusetts is a no-fault state. After a crash, your own auto insurance company should provide compensation for your medical bills up to your policy limits, in addition to your existing health insurance. While this process should be simple and allow you to get the treatment you need to heal, there may be several roadblocks.

For one, PIP will only cover 75% of your lost wages and may not be enough to cover the full costs of your injuries. If you reach your policy limit, you may need to file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company. However, the other driver does not have auto insurance, or their policy is too low to cover the costs of the collision, you may be in hot water. Luckily, this is where uninsured and underinsured coverage comes in.

The Role of UM/UIM Motorist Coverage

Both uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage apply when another driver’s insurance is not enough to cover the costs of a collision. If you have exhausted all other insurance options, these policies may get your bills paid. While uninsured is required in Massachusetts, underinsured is not -- but it could prove useful after a collision.

  • Uninsured: If the other driver does not have auto insurance, or you were injured in a hit-and-run and could not identify the driver, then you can file a claim against your uninsured motorist coverage (UM). UM is designed to match your policy limit, meaning you have at minimum $20,000 of coverage after a collision.
  • Underinsured: If the other driver’s insurance is not enough to cover your damages, then you can file an underinsured claim (UIM) with your insurance provider to make up the difference. For example, let’s say that you filed a third-party claim with an at-fault driver and received the policy limit of $20,000. However, you still have $10,000 in damages left over. If you have a UIM policy, you can file a separate claim with your own insurance to recover the remaining $10,000. UIM is also meant to match your liability coverage, so if you have a policy, at minimum you will have $20,000 in coverage.

How to Receive Compensation After an Accident

The process for getting compensation after a car accident in Massachusetts is complicated. You may have to deal with your PIP coverage, your health insurance policy, the other driver’s insurance, and then your own company if you are filing a UM/UIM claim. Each company you talk to will want to minimize the amount of money it pays you, limiting your ability to get all your bills paid and move on with your life.

Your best option is to work with a dedicated Boston auto accident attorney who can handle all negotiations for you. At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., our lead attorney has nearly two decades of experience fighting for clients to receive full compensation for their injuries. We can walk you through the process, calculate the total costs of your injuries, and advocate to get you the highest possible award in an insurance negotiation or personal injury trial. To sit down with us in a free consultation, call (617) 870-0907.