Helping Bike Accident Victims Who Have Suffered Serious Road Rash
Motorcyclists and bicyclists have an elevated risk of sustaining road rash. These potentially serious injuries can occur when a rider is thrown from the bike and slides across the ground or pavement. In severe cases, road rash can cause major damage to the skin and the underlying tissues. It can lead to infections, scarring, and permanent disability.
What Scenarios Can Lead to Road Rash Injuries?
Motorcycle and bicycle rides are susceptible to road rash injuries because they lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle in a crash. Many different types of bicycle and motorcycle wrecks can lead to road rash. Factors that can contribute to the severity of these injuries include:
- Speed the bike is traveling when the rider is ejected or falls off
- Surface type the rider lands on
- Distance of the slide
- Protective gear worn by the rider
Boston Road Rash Lawyer Near Me 855-DiBella
How Can Road Rash Injuries Vary in Severity?
Like burn injuries, severity of road rash injuries is classified in degrees:
- First-degree road rash: This is a relatively minor injury that can still be quite painful. It may involve some scraping and bleeding of the skin, redness, tenderness, and bruising.
- Second-degree road rash: In the second degree, road rash is considered a serious injury that requires immediate medical attention. In some cases, there may be exposed muscle, tendons, and nerves. Victims are likely to experience bleeding, swelling, and heat radiating from the wounds.
- Third-degree road rash: This is the most serious level of road rash injury, and it requires emergency medical attention. Victims with third-degree road rash will have deep wounds, exposed tissue, and swelling. It can cause permanent scarring and disfigurement. Wounds may be extremely painful, or, in cases of severe nerve damage, they may not be painful at all.
We've offered crucial support and guidance to individuals who have suffered injuries, ensuring their financial and emotional well-being.
What Role Does Negligence Play in Road Rash Injuries?
Many varied factors can contribute to motorcycle and bicycle accidents, and many of them involve driver negligence. Drivers can cause serious injuries to riders in several ways, including:
- Drug or alcohol impaired driving
- Distracted driving
- Speeding and aggressive driving
- Failure to check blind spots
- Left-turn accidents in which a driver cuts off an oncoming bike
What Types of Compensation Are Available for a Road Rash Accident?
Each motorcycle or bicycle accident claim is unique. If you sustained road rash injuries through someone else’s negligence, the damages you are entitled to claim will depend on the extent of your injuries and the circumstances surrounding your case. Common damages in motorcycle and bicycle accident cases include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages or earnings
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Permanent disability
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
How Can an Experienced Boston Personal Injury Attorney Help?
You stand a better chance of recovering full compensation and holding responsible parties accountable with an experienced Boston personal injury lawyer in your corner. Our top litigators can investigate the crash to determine cause and liability, preserve evidence to support your claim, and assess the full extent of your losses. We can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, so you can focus on recovering from your injuries. If necessary, we can take your case to trial to fight for the compensation you deserve.
At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we are a nationally recognized law firm. Our attorneys have been named among the National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40, listed among Massachusetts Super Lawyers®, and rated 10.0 by Avvo. If you have suffered serious road rash through the fault of another, call us at (617) 870-0907 to schedule a free consultation.