Dracut Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Representing Injured Motorcyclists in Dracut
With a population of 32,617 at the 2020 census, Dracut is the second most populous town in Massachusetts. Its police department has partnered with seven other police departments to form the Merrimack Valley Reckless Bikers Task Force, as reported by the Dracut Police Department. This task force is targeting individuals operating ATVs and dirt bikes illegally on public roads, weaving in and out of traffic, riding on sidewalks, impeding traffic, and creating dangerous situations.
Reckless operators of recreational vehicles can give bikers a bad name in Dracut. The truth is that many motorcycle accidents are caused by the negligent actions of other drivers. If you have been hurt in a motorcycle wreck that was not your fault, speak with an experienced Dracut auto accident attorney about a claim for compensation.
What Are Motorcyclists’ Rights on the Road?
Motorcycle riders have the same rights and responsibilities on the road as other motorists. Drivers in Dracut must allow motorcyclists the full width of a lane at all times. Safety requires that drivers allow three to four seconds more distance when following behind a motorcycle to give riders more time to maneuver or stop to avoid hazards ahead. Drivers who fail to exercise the proper care can cause deadly motorcycle accidents.
What Are Some Common Causes of Motorcycle Collisions in Dracut?
Motorcycles are smaller, less visible, and less stable than four-wheeled vehicles. Negligent drivers can cause riders to crash in a number of ways, including:
- Distracted driving: Drivers who are using cell phones or otherwise distracted behind the wheel may fail to see a motorcycle in the road and cause a crash.
- Failing to yield the right of way: Drivers must yield the right of way to motorcycles the same as other vehicles. Many motorcycle accidents are caused by drivers turning left at intersections who turn directly into the path of an oncoming rider.
- Drunk or drugged driving: Alcohol and drugs impair driving ability. Drunk or stoned drivers are a menace for everyone on the roadway, including motorcyclists.
- Tailgating: Following too closely increases the risk of a rear-end collision. Motorcyclists hit from behind can be ejected from the bike into the path of other vehicles.
- Speeding: In 2020, speeding caused 11,258 traffic fatalities in the U.S., as stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). For more than 20 years, it has been involved in approximately one-third of all motor vehicle deaths.
- Unsafe lane changes: Motorcycles are less visible in a driver’s blind spots than larger passenger vehicles. Drivers who fail to signal and carefully perform a head check can sideswipe motorcycles when changing lanes.
What Types of Injuries Do Motorcycle Accidents Cause?
Lacking seatbelts, air bags, and the protections of an enclosed vehicle, riders can suffer serious injuries in a crash, with or without helmets. Common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Fractured bones
- Head trauma and brain injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Facial injuries
- Severe lacerations
- Road rash
How Can a Dracut Lawyer Help After a Serious Motorcycle Accident?
If someone else caused your motorcycle crash and injuries, our experienced Dracut motorcycle accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation in a personal injury claim. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be entitled to claim damages including past and future medical expenses, lost earnings, loss of future earning potential, scarring and disfigurement, and pain and suffering. Massachusetts law imposes a statute of limitations for motorcycle accidents – a time limit after which your claim is forever barred.
After a serious motorcycle accident, contact DiBella Law Offices, P.C. at (978) 327-5140. We can tell you if you have a case and what damages you may be able to claim.