Gloucester Brain Injury Attorney
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is an injury to the brain caused by trauma, external force, or a physical assault. TBI can occur in two different ways. Closed brain injury is caused by a blow to the head or a jolt that results in bruising or tearing of the brain tissue, but there is no break in the skull. Penetrating brain injury involves a break in the skull when an object, such as a bullet, bone fragment, or shard of metal or glass, penetrates the brain.
While symptoms of mild brain injury may disappear in time, moderate to severe TBI can cause long-term effects with life-altering consequences for victims. If you have sustained a traumatic brain injury due to the negligence or wrongdoing of someone else, you may be entitled to compensation. The experienced Gloucester brain injury lawyer at DiBella Law Offices, P.C. can determine if you have a case and guide you through the legal process. Let us advocate on your behalf. Call us at (978) 327-5140 to schedule your free case consultation.
TBI can cause a wide range of physical, sensory, cognitive, and behavioral symptoms, which can vary depending on the severity of the injury and the part of the brain that is damaged. Short-term effects of mild traumatic brain injury may include:
- Sensitivity to light and noise
- Balance problems
- Difficulty concentrating
Severe TBI can cause long-term effects, including:
- Persistent and worsening headaches
- Seizures or convulsions
- Balance problems
- Changes in vision
- Impaired language skills
- Mood swings
- Sleep disturbances
- Difficulty with problem-solving
- Depression and anxiety
Victims may require ongoing medical treatment and rehabilitation. They may be permanently disabled and suffer symptoms that impair their ability to perform daily activities, communicate, and maintain personal relationships. Severe TBI is a catastrophic injury that can significantly impact a victim’s quality of life.
Any severe blow or traumatic injury to the head or body can cause TBI. The most common causes in Gloucester include:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents are common causes of TBI. The impact of a collision can cause the head to strike an object or move violently back and forth, bruising or tearing brain tissue inside the skull.
- Falls: Falls are the leading cause of TBI overall. Victims can fall for many reasons, such as defective stairways, collapsing decks or balconies, and slip or trip and fall hazards on a property.
- Assaults: A gunshot wound or a blow to the head in a criminal assault is likely to cause traumatic brain injury. If you were a victim of an assault on someone else’s property, such as a nightclub, a shopping mall, an apartment building, or a retail store, you may be entitled to hold the property owner liable for negligent security.
- Construction site accidents: It is not uncommon for workers on construction sites to be struck in the head by falling materials, flying objects, or moving equipment or to suffer TBI in falls from ladders, scaffolding, and rooftops.
If the negligence or wrongdoing of someone else is the cause of your or your loved one’s injury, the at-fault party may be held accountable. Our experienced Gloucester personal injury lawyer can investigate the incident to determine fault and liability and assess the full extent of your losses. Damages you may be entitled to claim may include past and future medical expenses, rehabilitation, vocational retraining, lost earnings, loss of future earning potential, pain and suffering, disability, and loss of enjoyment of life.
At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we appreciate the severity of TBI and its potentially life-altering impact and are here to help you fight for the compensation you deserve. We believe every case is personal and are committed to providing strong representation and compassionate legal counsel.
Contact us at (978) 327-5140 to schedule a free initial consultation. There’s no fee until we win.