Bike Accident Attorney in Billerica
A bicycle is a zero-emissions vehicle. Every time you ride your bike instead of taking a car, you’re helping protect the environment. You’re also breathing fresh air and getting valuable exercise.
The town of Billerica and its citizens are deeply committed to safe and accessible biking throughout the city and our region. Locals have been working for over two decades to advance the Yankee Doodle Bike Path all over town. There are regional bike routes connecting riders in Billerica to Bedford, Arlington, historic Walden Pond, and other surrounding communities.
Billerica is a wonderful place to ride a bicycle. But drivers who fail to look out for cyclists are a real hazard. In fact, unsafe drivers are responsible for accidents that cause thousands of serious injuries for bicycle riders every year.
If you were harmed in a bicycle accident caused by someone else’s careless behavior, the experienced Billerica personal injury attorneys at DiBella Law Offices, P.C. can help. We’ll file a claim against anyone whose negligence contributed to your injuries and help you get the money you need to get better.
Call (978) 327-5140 to learn more today.
Bicycle accidents may be caused by hazards such as gravel, debris, potholes, or obstacles that don’t belong in the road. Bicycle riders can also be harmed by other cyclists who make dangerous maneuvers or pedestrians that get in your way. But the greatest threat to a bike rider’s safety are unsafe drivers.
Even when you’re traveling in a bike lane, careless drivers can intrude into your space and cause accidents. Unsafe driver behavior that that puts you at risk includes:
- Dangerous passing. Drivers in Massachusetts are required to give bicycle riders three feet of room when passing, and if the road is too narrow, the driver must slow down and wait for an opportunity to pass safely.
- Sideswipes. Drivers must be aware of their blind spots and take necessary precautions to make sure the lane is empty before merging or changing lanes.
- Tailgating. Drivers should monitor the amount of space in front of their vehicle and make sure they have enough stopping time.
- Dooring. When drivers and driver-side passengers fail to look behind them before exiting the vehicle, it can cause serious bicycle crashes.
- Unsafe turns. Drivers should always be alert for bicycles when making a left turn and check to make sure that crosswalks and bike lanes are empty before making a right turn.
- Speeding dramatically reduces a driver’s reaction time and makes accidents much more lethal when they occur.
- Running a red light or stop sign. Bicyclists are totally vulnerable to these unexpected drivers who are likely to hit bikes at high impact.
- DUI. Drugs and alcohol impair a driver’s vison, judgments, reaction time, and coordination. People who are under the influence should not operate a motor vehicle under any circumstances.
- Distracted driving. Texting or talking on a handheld device while driving is illegal in Massachusetts. Other activities such as talking, eating, checking GPS, or reaching for an object inside the cabin can all result in serious accidents.
Insurance companies are in business to make money. That’s why insurance agents are trained to do whatever they can to prevent you from getting a fair claim after an accident. The insurance agent might even try to blame you for an accident caused by their client or get you to sign a statement that hurts your claim.
When it comes to dealing with insurance companies, it’s best to allow your personal injury attorney to do all the negotiating. Our team at DiBella Law Offices P.C. will investigate your accident and file a claim against anyone whose negligent behavior contributed to your injuries.
When the insurance company sees that we’re representing you, they’re a lot more likely to take your claim seriously. And if they still won’t make a reasonable offer, we’re always prepared to take the other side to court.
A Billerica personal injury claim for a bicycle accident will cover the following types of expenses:
- Doctor’s office visits
- Emergency room care
- Ambulance rides
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced earing capacity
- Assisted nursing care
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
When a passenger car, SUV, or a large truck collides with a person on a bicycle, the results can be devastating. Many of these injuries will require a long period of recuperation, and during this time you will be unable to work. And some injuries like paralysis will prevent you from ever resuming your normal activities.
Common injuries caused by bicycle crashes include:
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damage
- Loss of limb
- Spinal cord injuries
- Wrongful death
A bicycle crash can turn your whole world upside down. It’s crucial to have someone on your side who knows how to get results. Our team at DiBella Law Offices, P.C. has won millions of dollars for our clients.
Our founder Christopher DiBella has been recognized as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in America by The National Trial Lawyers, and our firm has a perfect A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Call (978) 327-5140 to schedule a FREE case evaluation today.