Medford Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Medford is a diverse, historic, thriving Massachusetts community with just under 60,000 residents. With more than 300 acres of open spaces, Medford is an excellent place for bike riding. Some of the favorite routes of riders in Medford are Medford Square to Davis Square, Medford’s scenic byways past the Mystic Lakes and the Shepherd Brooks Estate, and from Riverbend Park along the Mystic River to Medford Square.
Too often, cyclists in Medford are injured through the negligence of others. After a serious bicycle accident, your best chance of recovering the compensation you deserve is to speak with an experienced Medford bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Bikers can crash because of potholes and other road hazards, when a dog runs out in front of the bike, or when a rider collides with a fixed object. The most common way bicycle accidents happen is when a bike is hit by a car. Bicycle crashes involving motor vehicles are caused by:
- Distracted driving: This is a leading cause of traffic crashes. A driver who is texting, talking on the phone, or otherwise distracted may fail to notice a bicycle in the roadway.
- Impaired driving: Alcohol and drugs can impair a driver’s vision, reaction time, and ability to judge distances and make other critical decisions.
- Following or passing too closely: Tailgating or passing less than three feet away from a bicycle creates a dangerous situation that makes it difficult to avoid a collision.
- Unsafe lane changes: A driver who merges into a bicyclist’s lane without checking first to ensure the lane is clear can crash into the bike.
- Running stop signs or red lights: Disregarding traffic signals and stop signs can cause drivers to hit cyclists who have the right of way.
- Speeding: The faster a vehicle is driving, the less reaction time the driver has to avoid a crash with a bicycle.
- Turning without checking: Drivers have an obligation to check for pedestrians and bicyclists before turning at intersections. When they fail to do so, it can cause deadly accidents.
- Failure to yield to bicyclists: Failure to yield is dangerous driving behavior under any circumstances. When a driver fails to yield to a bicyclist, the consequences can be catastrophic.
Lacking the protection of an enclosed vehicle, bicyclists can be seriously injured in a collision with a motor vehicle. Common bicycle accident injuries include:
- Fractured bones
- Facial fractures, dental fractures, and facial contusions
- Skull fractures and head trauma
- Traumatic brain injury
- Internal organ damage
- Road rash
- Severe bruising
After a serious bicycle accident, get medical attention for your injuries. If you are able, exchange information with the driver, get contact information for witnesses, and take pictures of the scene. Get a copy of the police report when it is available and contact a Medford personal injury attorney as soon as you can.
Our experienced Medford bike accident lawyers at DiBella Law Offices, P.C. can investigate your bicycle accident to determine fault and liability, collect evidence to support your claim, and build a strong case based on the facts. We can assess the full extent of your losses and negotiate skillfully with insurance companies on your behalf. If necessary, we can take your case to court. Founding attorney Christopher DiBella has been named one of the top litigators in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
We offer a free consultation with no obligation. Contact us at (978) 327-5140.