Medford Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
It’s great to get outside and go for a walk if you live in Medford, MA. You might go out walking for fun, or maybe it’s part of your daily commute. There are many beautiful places to walk in Medford as it is located along the Mystic River.
Wherever you’re going, you have the right to be safe. But your life can suddenly change for the worse when a negligent driver does a careless maneuver or fails make sure a crosswalk is empty before entering an intersection.
Pedestrians are completely vulnerable to rash decisions made by car and truck drivers. If you were seriously hurt in a Medford pedestrian accident, call DiBella Law Offices, P.C. at (978) 327-5140 to schedule a FREE consultation. We can file a claim to help you get the money you need to pay your medical bills and other expenses caused by the accident.
Walking is a favorite pastime for the residents of Medford. With its scenic river and rich history. Some of the roads are very busy and drivers are sometimes distracted. Medford is just a five mile drive from Boston, so it is home to many college students who may be inexperienced drivers.
In a recent year, three people were killed by car crashes in Medford, Massachusetts. In one incident, two pedestrians and a dog were injured as they were walking down Mystic Ave at around 9pm. The driver of a Chevrolet Trax that was traveling south exited the roadway to the right and crossed the sidewalk. The driver did not stop, and the abandoned vehicle was found approximately one mile from the scene. The driver was later apprehended.
Getting struck by a motor vehicle is a life-changing event. It’s essential to get the help you need to put your life back together. Following these steps will aid you on the path to recovery:
- Dial 911. You will want to see a doctor right away. Even if the damage doesn’t seem that bad, many injuries such as whiplash, concussions, internal bleeding, and traumatic brain injuries (TBI) can get a lot worse without medical attention. When first responders arrive, the police can also begin investigating the accident, and a police report will help your pedestrian accident attorney when they file your claim.
- Take photos. When you feel up to it, use your cell camera to record the accident scene. Take pictures of skid marks, injuries you have suffered, and any malfunctioning traffic signals or obscured stop signs that may have contributed to the accident. You can also take pictures of the license plate and the driver’s license of the person who hit you.
- Collect contact information from anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Tell your doctor about any symptoms or pain you are feeling. Be sure to attend all follow-up appointments and follow your doctor’s treatment instructions throughout the recovery process.
- Avoid social media. Anything you say about the accident can be used against you by the driver’s insurance company and their lawyers.
- Contact a pedestrian accident attorney right away. And don’t accept any offers or sign any statements that you get from an insurance company until you have met with your attorney.
The insurance agent is not your friend. Insurance companies make their money by settling claims for the lowest possible amount. They may even try to blame you for injuries that were caused by their client’s reckless behavior.
Pedestrian accidents can lead to catastrophic injuries that may require extensive medical treatment and years of assisted care. Your Medford personal injury attorney will investigate the accident to determine whose negligence caused your injuries. Then they will determine the true cost of your injuries and file a claim against the driver’s insurance company.
At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we know how to deal with stingy insurance companies. If they aren’t willing to make a fair offer, we are always ready to go to trial and fight for our clients.
The number one cause of Medford pedestrian accidents is unsafe drivers. We’ve even had cases where pedestrians were struck by vehicles that veered onto the sidewalk. As a pedestrian, it’s important to remain alert at all times.
There are steps you can take to avoid pedestrian accidents:
- Before entering a crosswalk, look left, right, and then left again.
- Make eye contact with the driver before crossing in front of a vehicle.
- Use crosswalks whenever they are available.
- Wear reflective clothing when walking after dark.
- Obey all traffic signs.
- Don’t walk behind a vehicle.
- Always hold your child’s hand as they are crossing the street.
- Never assume that a driver sees you.
- Never run across the street.
- Be extra careful in parking lots.
Most pedestrian accidents are caused by drivers who are disobeying traffic laws or simply aren’t being careful enough. Drivers need to watch what they’re doing at all times, especially at intersections. The pedestrian accidents we see are often caused by:
- Distracted drivers
- Failure to yield
- Ignoring traffic signs and signals
- Poorly marked stop signs
- Negligent rideshare, delivery, truck, and bus drivers
If you were injured by a careless driver in Medford, MA, you shouldn’t have to pay your own medical bills. At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we know how to take on the big insurance companies and win. In fact, Christopher DiBella has been recognized as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in America by the American Academy of Attorneys.
Call (978) 327-5140 to learn more today.