Medford Wrongful Death Lawyers
Medford is a wonderful community with lots to offer its residents. The city’s bustling downtown area boasts an array of shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions that draw visitors from near and far. But like any community, Medford is not immune to tragedy. Wrongful deaths can occur here just as they can anywhere else. Whether due to negligence, medical malpractice, or other factors, losing a loved one can be devastating for families in Medford and beyond. Despite this sobering fact, Medford remains a tight-knit and supportive community that rallies around its residents in times of need.
At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., our experienced and compassionate Medford personal injury lawyers are here to guide you through the legal process and help you seek justice for your loss. We understand the pain and suffering of families who have lost loved ones due to another’s negligent action, and we are committed to helping them get the compensation they deserve in Medford, Massachusetts, and the surrounding areas. Contact our firm at (978) 327-5140 today to schedule a free consultation.
Wrongful death occurs when a person is killed due to the negligence or intentional actions of another individual or entity. In Massachusetts, certain family members may be entitled to bring a lawsuit for wrongful death against the responsible party. These family members could receive compensation for expenses such as medical bills, funeral costs, and emotional damages.
The most common causes of wrongful deaths include:
- Car accidents: Accidents involving vehicles, such as cars, trucks, and motorcycles, can be fatal, especially if speeding or distracted driving is involved.
- Pedestrian accidents: Injuries to pedestrians can be fatal, especially in urban areas and near major roads.
- Bicycle accidents: Cyclists can be injured or killed in collisions with motorized vehicles.
- Medical malpractice: Negligence and errors of healthcare professionals can cause wrongful death, including misdiagnosis or surgical errors.
- Workplace accidents: Fatalities may occur due to equipment malfunctions or exposure to hazardous substances in various workplace environments.
- Premises liability: Property owners who fail to maintain a safe environment may be held liable for fatalities resulting from accidents, such as fires or slips and falls.
- Defective products: Manufacturers can be held responsible for wrongful deaths if their product causes fatal injuries due to design flaws or manufacturing defects.
For a successful wrongful death claim, liability must be established in each case. Our attorneys will thoroughly investigate your case and work hard to determine the person responsible for your loved one’s death.
Only certain family members in Massachusetts hold the right to file a claim for wrongful death on behalf of a deceased relative. The eligible parties include spouses, parents (including adoptive ones), children (including adopted kids), siblings (including half-siblings), and grandparents (including step-grandparents).
Specific conditions must exist to file a successful wrongful death claim in Massachusetts. One is negligence, where the death of a loved one resulted from another’s carelessness, recklessness, or negligent acts, such as medical malpractice or causing a car or truck accident. Another is intentional harm, where a deliberate act causes death, such as murder or assault. Finally, strict liability may apply if an entity is responsible for wrongful death, such as in cases of product liability in which a defective product causes death.
The claim for wrongful death must be filed within three years from the date of death or when the personal representative first knew or should have been aware of the facts that support the claim.
If it can be proven that another party was responsible for the death of your loved one, you may be entitled to compensation for their medical bills relating to their illness or injury before the death, funeral costs, lost wages, future lost earnings, and the emotional damages associated with the death. An experienced Medford wrongful death attorney can ensure that you are entitled to all available compensation options so that your financial loss is maximized.
At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we understand the pain of losing a loved one due to someone else’s negligence or intentional actions. We are dedicated to helping families in Medford pursue justice after a tragic, avoidable death. Call us at (978) 327-5140 for a free consultation from an experienced wrongful death attorney.