Billerica Wrongful Death Attorneys
Dedicated to Helping Families During Difficult Times in Billerica
When a loved one dies as a result of another party’s negligent actions, you could file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover damages for your loss. Nothing can bring back your loved one, but if you win your case and obtain compensation, it could offer some financial relief during an undoubtedly challenging time. At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., our Billerica wrongful death attorney has been practicing law since 2004. We could fight for you and pursue compensation on your behalf during this difficult time. Schedule a free initial consultation today by calling us at (978) 327-5140.
Common Types of Wrongful Death Cases
Accidents happen and, in some cases, result in injuries so catastrophic that the victim dies. These accidents can happen for any number of reasons. When the direct cause is negligence, you could file a wrongful death lawsuit. Here are some of the most common types of wrongful death cases:
- Car Accidents: One of the most common types of wrongful death cases is car accidents. Moreover, they are often caused by negligent actions, such as speeding, distracted driving, drunk driving, and other unsafe behaviors. Under these circumstances, a negligent or reckless driver could be held liable for your loved one’s death.
- Medical Malpractice: We put a lot of trust in those who provide our medical care and, unfortunately, sometimes egregious mistakes are made, resulting in death. If, for example, you could prove that your loved one’s doctor misdiagnosed your loved one and it directly caused their death, the doctor could potentially be held liable.
- Pedestrian Accidents: Pedestrians are incredibly vulnerable, which is why these types of accidents often result in death. If the driver of the vehicle was behaving negligently and that is what led to the accident, they could be found liable.
- Bike Accidents: Bicyclists can easily be missed by drivers who are not paying attention or otherwise distracted and, unfortunately, many of these accidents lead to death.
- Truck Accidents: Accidents involving trucks have the potential to be far deadlier than other accidents simply due to their weight and size. However, they tend to be more complex than other car accident cases because of the number of parties that could potentially be found liable, which is why it is crucial to hire an attorney with extensive experience in handling such cases.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Massachusetts?
Every state has a statute of limitations, or a limited window of time, when a person can file a wrongful death claim. In Massachusetts, the statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death claim is three years. Additionally, only specific individuals can bring this type of claim to court. In Massachusetts, the executor or administrator of the decedent’s estate can file a wrongful death claim. Generally, this person would be named in the decedent’s will. However, if no one was named, the court will appoint someone.
If you were the executor or administrator of your loved one’s will or if you were appointed by the court, you could file a wrongful death claim and recover damages.
Discuss Your Case with Our Billerica Wrongful Death Attorney Today!
If you lost a loved one in an accident that was caused by negligence, it is important to act quickly, before the statute of limitations expires. The experienced Billerica personal injury lawyer at DiBella Law Offices, P.C. has experience in handling these cases and could pursue the fair and just compensation you deserve. Call our law firm today on (978) 327-5140 to schedule a free initial consultation to get started.