How Amazon Pushes Its Drivers to Dangerous Extremes
Accidents caused by overworked and tired delivery truck drivers are common in Massachusetts. Amazon drivers are among the most involved in delivery accidents, given their extreme working conditions. A single Amazon driver delivers as many as 300 packages daily, often without time to rest or adequate breaks. Besides, these drivers are under intense pressure to deliver packages on time to avoid cancellations. These conditions make them quite dangerous on the road, increasing the risk of accidents. Read on to find out how Amazon pushes its drivers to dangerous extremes and how a lawyer can help you get compensated should you be injured.
Causes of Amazon Delivery Truck Accidents
Given the generally poor working conditions of Amazon delivery drivers, they tend to cause many truck accidents in Massachusetts. These accidents tend to increase during the holidays when there is a higher demand for delivery services. Here are some of the most common causes of Amazon delivery truck accidents and how the company pushes its drivers to extreme levels.
- Speeding: As mentioned earlier, Amazon delivery drivers work against a tight schedule to deliver all packages on time. This tempts them to drive at high speeds, which can result in fatal crashes. Vehicles going at high speeds often cause severe and fatal injuries when they crash.
- Distracted Driving: Another common cause of accidents involving Amazon delivery trucks is distracted driving. Distracted drivers are a huge risk to the safety of other road users. Amazon drivers might get distracted when checking delivery route technology, looking at delivery schedules, or checking the work cell phones for calls from the office. Any shifting or falling packages during shipment might also get the driver’s attention and distract them.
- Untrained Drivers: Some Amazon delivery drivers might find themselves in a car they have not been trained to drive. The delivery companies are responsible for performing background checks on employees and providing adequate training to enhance their driving skills. If the driver doesn’t have the skills to drive the delivery truck, there is a high risk of collision. The driver and delivery company may be liable for damages in such cases.
- Drowsy Driving: Amazon drivers are on the road for far too many hours. They don’t have adequate breaks to rest and recover. Therefore, they become drowsy when driving, which often causes accidents. They may drift from their lane into the next one and cause head-on collisions. Drowsy or fatigued drivers often cause side-wipe or head-on collision accidents.
- Impaired Driving: Drugged or drunk drivers have slower reaction times and tend to make poor decisions on the road. They may engage in deadly driving behaviors like weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, or stopping without warning. Other road users should try to stay clear of such delivery truck drivers.
Amazon Delivery Truck Accident Injuries
The injuries can be catastrophic when a large, heavy Amazon delivery truck is speeding to meet delivery deadlines and runs into another car. Some of the most common Amazon truck accident injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Spine and back injuries
- Permanent scarring
- Wrongful death
Let Our Delivery Truck Accident Attorney Help
If you have been involved in an accident caused by an Amazon delivery truck, our delivery truck accident attorney at DiBella Law Offices, P.C. are ready to help. Contact our dedicated team at (978) 327-5140 for a free legal consultation.