Skilled Representation for Waltham Bicycle Accident Victims
Located on the Charles River just west of Boston, the city of Waltham has a great mix of the charming and the modern. It is home to the Charles River Museum of Industry and Innovation, an icon of the industrial revolution. Waltham’s historical sites include Gore Place, a 50-acre estate and grand mansion built in 1806.
For bicycle riders, the city offers a number of cycling routes, including a two-lap course on Loop Road, a 2.45 mile loop around Fresh Pond, and the much longer Waltham, Concord, Bedford, Lexington, Watertown bike route. Bicycling throughout this area comes with the risk of being hurt in a crash. Too often, negligent drivers cause bicycle accidents in which cyclists suffer the most severe injuries. If you have been the victim of a bicycle accident, contact an experienced Waltham personal injury attorney for your best chance of recovering full and fair compensation.
Where Does Responsibility for Waltham Bicycle Accidents Lie?
Many different factors can contribute to bicycle crashes. Some bike accidents are caused by hazardous road conditions or by infrastructure problems, such as inadequate separation between motorists and cyclists, poor lighting, or lack of signage and crosswalks. Some bike crashes occur because of rider error. In many cases, however, negligent drivers cause bicycle accidents. Common causes of crashes involving motor vehicles and bicycles include:
- Distracted driving: Drivers who are texting, talking on the phone, or otherwise distracted are a menace to everyone sharing the road and far more likely to fail to register a bicycle in the roadway.
- Alcohol or drug impaired driving: Drug and/or alcohol use can slow reaction time, impair judgment, and affect a driver’s ability to operate a vehicle safely, putting cyclists at risk.
- Disregarding traffic signs and signals: A driver who runs a red light or a stop sign can hit a bicyclist who has the right of way.
- Unsafe lane changes: Before switching lanes, drivers should always check their blind spots to ensure the lane they are entering is clear. When they fail to do so and hit a bicyclist, it can cause serious injuries.
- Negligent right hand turns: Drivers turning right on the green light must yield to pedestrians or bicyclists in the intersection. A driver who executes a right turn without looking can hit a cyclist.
- Tailgating: Following too closely is dangerous driving behavior under any circumstances. When a motor vehicle driver tailgates a cyclist, the consequences can be catastrophic.
- Speeding: The faster a vehicle is traveling, the less time the driver has to brake to avoid a crash. A high-speed collision with a bicyclist is more likely to be fatal.
Do Bicycle Accidents Cause Serious Injuries?
Except for their helmets, bicyclists are unprotected and vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash, particularly when it involves a 4,000 pound passenger vehicle. Bicycle accidents can cause severe injuries, including:
- Skull fractures
- Head trauma and brain injury
- Back, neck, and spinal injuries
- Fractured bones
- Internal organ damage
- Severe bruising
- Facial fractures, dental fractures, and facial contusions
- Road rash
- Lacerations, contusions, and abrasions
We've offered crucial support and guidance to individuals who have suffered injuries, ensuring their financial and emotional well-being.
What Steps Should You Take After a Bike Accident?
Your first priority after a bicycle accident is to get medical treatment for your injuries. If you are able, take pictures of the scene, talk to witnesses, and get their contact information. Get a copy of the police report and call a Waltham bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible.
At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we have nearly two decades of experience representing injured riders. We are a nationally recognized law firm with a successful track record. Call us at (978) 327-5140 to schedule a free consultation.