How to Steer Clear of Bicycle Accidents
Whether it’s through the streets of Boston, Methuen, Andover, or anywhere in Massachusetts, taking a leisurely bicycle ride can be a joyful and relaxing activity. However, when you take your bike out for a spin, you need to be cautious of pedestrians, other bicyclists, and cars on the road. Whether it’s due to distracted driving or some other form of negligence, being hit by car while on a bicycle can have deadly or lifelong consequences.
At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., we think everyone should be able to enjoy a nice bicycle ride in the summertime. That’s why we’d like everyone to remember these helpful safety tips so they can make the best out of their travels:
- Wear a helmet: Sometimes, the simplest solutions are also the safest. While everyone knows they should wear a helmet anytime they ride a bicycle, many overlook the fact that helmets have saved countless people over the years from severe head injuries and even death.
- Follow traffic laws: Stay in the bike lane, obey street signs, and make sure that when you’re turning, other cars and pedestrians can clearly see you. If there’s no bike lane available, it’s important to stay extra-cautious: don’t make any sudden movements that could put you in the path of a car.
- Stay visible: By wearing bright clothing and installing a headlamp on the front of your helmet, you can stay visible to motorists around you. It’s important to allow other drivers to be able to clearly see you. Otherwise, you could get involved in a dangerous accident. Even if it’s not your fault, you have to suffer the pains.
- Make sure your bicycle is properly maintained: The last thing you need is to crash your bike into a tree because the brakes suddenly stopped working. Before you ride, be sure to inspect your bicycle to confirm that your chains, pedals, handlebars, and other components are in proper working order.
- Stay hydrated: With any type of exercise, it can be easy to overheat and become exhausted. When we work ourselves too hard, we also tend to be worse at decision-making and paying attention to necessary things on the road. By taking regular breaks and drinking enough water, you will feel much better during your bicycle ride.
- Plan your route: It can be easy to get lost and wind up on an unfamiliar trail if you don’t plan your route in advance. If that happens, you might come across difficult terrain, unexpected intersections, or potholes that can make your trip more dangerous than it needs to be. By using a GPS or other system to plan your bicycle ride, you are one step closer to ensuring your safety.
Of course, you could take every necessary precaution in the world and still be on the unfortunate end of a bicycle accident. If that happens, it’s important you understand your legal options. If the crash was caused by a defect with the bicycle, you should contact the company or manufacturer as soon as possible. If the accident occurred with a rental bike, you should report the accident immediately as well. But when it comes to recovering financial compensation and getting the help you need, you should contact a Massachusetts bicycle accident attorney.
We have helped countless people recover damages for their medical expenses, lost earnings, and other factors following a bicycle accident. At DiBella Law Offices, P.C., you’ll not only get legal support from our experienced and knowledgeable team, you’ll also get effective representation that’s necessary if you want to fight for your case and your livelihood. Contact our office at (978) 327-5140 to get started.