Skilled Representation for Truck Accident Victims
Home to America’s oldest seaport, Gloucester sits on Cape Ann, only a 45-minute drive from downtown Boston. This beautiful coastal city offers fresh seafood, maritime history, and a spectacular working waterfront against a backdrop of ever-changing natural beauty. With artists, independent shops, and award-winning restaurants, Gloucester is known for its hometown spirit.
Truck traffic has increased significantly nationwide, and Gloucester is no exception. Large commercial trucks are restricted to truck routes, with some exceptions, under the city’s Charter Code. Routes where heavy trucks are allowed include the entire lengths of King Street, Water Street, Jersey Avenue, Broadway, Market Street, Charles Street, and Nicholson Road, as well as sections of Johnson Boulevard and Essex Street. If you have been seriously hurt in a truck accident, contact an experienced Gloucester truck accident attorney as soon as you are able.
What Regulations Govern the Trucking Industry?
Trucking companies and truck drivers are subject to both state and federal regulations. A huge body of regulations governing the trucking industry is issued and enforced by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Among many other aspects of the industry, the agency regulates:
- Hours of service for drivers (to prevent driver fatigue)
- Inspection, repair, and maintenance of vehicles and equipment
- Licensing of commercial drivers
- Qualifications of drivers and instructors
- Cargo loading, securing, and weight restrictions
- Controlled substance and alcohol testing of drivers
Gloucester Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 855-DiBella
How Do Negligent Truck Drivers and Trucking Companies Cause Accidents?
Truck driver and trucking company negligence is responsible for many accidents in which others sharing the road are seriously or fatally injured. Negligent actions that lead to crashes include:
- Fatigued driving: This unsafe driving conduct is a known contributing factor in serious or deadly commercial truck accidents. Truck drivers who are under economic pressure, with unrealistic delivery deadlines to meet may violate hours of service regulations. Fatigued driving increases the risk of serious driver errors and falling asleep at the wheel.
- Speeding: Truckers who speed may be under pressure from their employers to meet tight deadlines or simply want to shorten their long trips. Speeding is dangerous in any vehicle, and even more so in a huge, heavy truck that requires more stopping distance to avoid a crash. The faster the truck is traveling, the more distance is required.
- Improper maintenance: FMCSA regulations require trucking companies to inspect, maintain, and repair their vehicles and equipment on a regular basis. Companies may cut corners in these areas to save money or to avoid taking their rigs temporarily out of operation. Failure to properly maintain vehicles can lead to deadly collisions caused by equipment failure.
- Improper braking: To safely operate big rigs, truck drivers need a high level of skill, particularly when braking on a downhill grade. Trucking companies may hire inexperienced drivers who lack these skills. Improper braking can cause the truck to roll over or jackknife, blocking traffic and leading to multi-vehicle pileups. It can also cause the trailer to detach from the truck, resulting in runaway trailer accidents.
- Negligent lane changes: With huge blind spots around their trucks and trailers, drivers must exercise great care in switching lanes. Failure to do so can cause deadly collisions with other vehicles.
We've offered crucial support and guidance to individuals who have suffered injuries, ensuring their financial and emotional well-being.
Do You Need a Truck Accident Lawyer?
Your best chance of recovering full compensation for a serious truck accident is to have an experienced Gloucester injury attorney in your corner. Truck accidents are high-stakes, complex cases, involving state and federal regulations and multiple potentially liable parties.
Call DiBella Law Offices, P.C. at (978) 327-5140 to schedule a free consultation. We can tell you if you have a case and what damages you may be entitled to claim.