As the traffic in Massachusetts increases each year, so does the number of trucks on the roads, increasing the probability of truck accidents. If you have been involved in a truck accident, you may be facing debilitating injuries and surmounting medical bills, requiring the help of a Massachusetts truck accident lawyer. Our Massachusetts personal injury lawyers at DiBella Law Offices can investigate your truck accident, determine who may be liable, and file a claim to help you collect maximum compensation for your injuries and other losses.
Massachusetts Trucking Facts
According to the Massachusetts Motor Transportation Association (MMTA), there are nearly 16,600 trucking companies in Massachusetts that travel more than 36,760 miles of public state roads. The MMTA purports that trucks drive 3.7 billion miles each year, transporting 234,660 tons of manufactured goods each day. Almost 87% of communities in Massachusetts depend exclusively on trucks to transport their goods.
The National Safety Council (NSC) reports that in 2021, there were 30 trucks involved in fatal crashes in Massachusetts. In those truck accidents, there were 31 fatalities. Large trucks constituted over 5% of the total vehicles involved in fatal accidents in the state.
Because of the large size and weight of trucks, the injuries received in truck accidents are often more severe than those from other motor vehicle accidents. If you have been injured in a truck accident, you should contact a truck accident attorney in Massachusetts to discuss your options for monetary recovery. We can investigate your truck accident and determine whether you can file a legal claim.
Causes of Truck Accidents in Massachusetts
Safe driving is imperative when operating a large truck. Even the slightest mistake or error in judgment can lead to a devastating accident. Common causes of truck accidents in Massachusetts include the following:
- Driver fatigue
- Driving under the influence
- Mechanical failures
- Distracted driving
- Failure to obey traffic laws
- Driver inexperience
If you were hurt in a truck accident caused by one of these factors, or any other, it is in your best interest to contact a Massachusetts truck attorney as soon as possible. Our experienced lawyers at DiBella Law Offices can evaluate the cause of your truck accident and determine whom you may have legal recourse against. Let us help you get the compensation you deserve after your accident.
Massachusetts Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 855-DiBella
Types of Truck Accidents in Massachusetts
There are many types of truck accidents. Because of trucks’ unique size and weight, one slightly incorrect maneuver can lead to a serious accident. The following are typical types of truck accidents:
- Rear-end accidents: Trucks need the distance of two football fields to safely stop because of their oversized weight and size.
- Runaway trailers: A truck’s trailer can become detached from the cab as a result of defective safety devices, failure to properly connect the trailer, or failure to engage the truck’s safety brakes.
- Blindspot accidents: Trucks have four large blind spots around the front, back, and sides of them.
- Jackknife accidents: If a truck is loaded improperly and the driver brakes suddenly, the trailer’s momentum continues although its cab slows.
- Cargo accidents: When a truck’s load is improperly distributed, its cargo can spill onto the roadway and cause an accident.
- Underride accidents: Smaller passenger vehicles can slide underneath trucks during accidents because of how high trucks sit.
- Rollover accidents: If a truck driver suddenly jerks their vehicle, an improper load can cause the truck to roll over.
Any of these accidents can cause devastating injuries or fatalities. If you have been the victim of a truck accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your injuries. Contact a truck accident lawyer in Massachusetts to discuss your legal options.
We've offered crucial support and guidance to individuals who have suffered injuries, ensuring their financial and emotional well-being.
Massachusetts Truck Accident Injuries
The injuries a truck accident victim can suffer can be physically and financially devastating. They can render you unable to work or to live as you did prior to your accident. Injuries often suffered in truck accidents include:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Back and neck injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal organ injuries
- Wrongful death
As previously mentioned, because of the massive size of trucks, many of the injuries suffered in a truck accident can be severe, if not fatal. If your life has been turned upside down because of a truck accident, you should contact a Massachusetts truck accident attorney as soon as possible. We can work to get you maximum compensation for your losses.
Liable Parties in Massachusetts Truck Accidents
There may be several parties at fault for your truck accident. Truck accident claims can be complex. Our skilled truck accident lawyers at DiBella Law Offices can help determine if any of the following parties may be liable for your accident:
- The truck driver: If the truck driver was speeding, driving carelessly, or under the influence of alcohol or drugs, they may be legally responsible for your accident.
- The trucking company: If the trucking company fails to perform regular inspections or proper maintenance on the truck, it can be held liable for your accident.
- A part manufacturer: If a defective truck part led to your accident, the part manufacturer may be held responsible.
- A municipality: If a government agency fails to perform road maintenance, you may be able to file a claim against it.
There are many steps necessary to prove negligence in a truck accident case. As such, it is important that you have an experienced truck accident lawyer in Massachusetts to fight for you. Contact our attorneys at DiBella Law Offices as soon as possible to review the circumstances of your truck accident and determine who may be held liable.
Damages that Can Be Recovered After a Truck Accident in Massachusetts
Once we have determined liability in your truck accident claim, we can review your injuries and other damages. In Massachusetts, there are different types of damages you can collect for your accident losses. Most of the damages you can collect are compensatory damages; however, in rare instances, you may be able to collect punitive damages for a wrongful death claim.
Economic compensatory damages are your direct monetary losses. They can include your medical bills, lost wages, and rehabilitation costs. They can cover your past and future expenses.
Non-economic compensatory damages are your non-monetary losses. They can include your emotional losses, such as pain and suffering and emotional trauma. There is often a cap placed on non-economic damages in personal injury cases.
Getting Help from a Massachusetts Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accident claims in Massachusetts can be complex, considering the special regulations and rules in the truck industry. There may be several parties liable for the injuries obtained in your truck accident. Your best chance at recovering maximum compensation for your losses is by contacting our truck accident attorneys at DiBella Law Offices today for a free consultation and to get started on your truck accident claim.